Looking for a way to add some drama and style to your wardrobe? Then monochrome fashion could be the perfect trend for you! Monochrome fashion is the perfect trend to help you show off your love for bold statements and clean lines. It’s a classic yet edgy look that creates a powerful silhouette and pulls together any look you’re trying to achieve. So if you’re ready to bring some black-and-white flair to your wardrobe, check out our guide on how to rock the monochrome fashion trend.
1. Understand the Basics of the Monochrome Trend
The monochrome trend is everywhere you look and for good reason – it’s never out of style, always classic, and timelessly chic. Here, we’ll look at the basics of this trend, from what inspired it in the first place, to how to rock it in your own wardrobe.
Definition of Monochrome
The strict definition of monochrome is a single color used throughout a look. This look is typically based in black and white, though monochrome trends can also be achieved in one particular color like navy, coral or olive.
Incorporating Monochrome Pieces in Your Wardrobe
To create an elegant and timeless monochrome look, it’s best to focus on classic pieces that work well together. A few key pieces to consider adding to your wardrobe are:
- A fitted blazer– great for dressed up or casual looks
- A white crisp blouse – a natural pairing with almost any bottom
- A basic A-line skirt – for days when you want to show off your waist
- The perfect slim fit jeans – for when comfort needs to come first
- A chic pleated midi– for a flowing, feminine touch
Combining these pieces in either black or white, or even a single colour, will help you master the monochrome trend in no time. Blend in accessories like a patterned belt, scarves, and a pair of statement earrings to tease out your own signature style. It’s all about creating a simple and minimalist canvas to really make these accessory pieces stand out.
2. Establish a Monochrome Wardrobe
A monochrome wardrobe is a wardrobe in which nearly all the garments are either minimalist shades of black, white, and gray, or a single color. At first thought, it seems limiting, but in reality monochrome wardrobes can be incredibly varied and fashionable.
First, identify your favorite neutral colors. Are you all about the black-and-white vibe with maybe a touch of gray? Or do you prefer a total monochromatic look in navy blue, olive green, or another shade? Consider how colors look together, and select the neutrals that work best for your wardrobe.
Find the right pieces that you’ll love. Add a structured blazer in navy blue or gray. Layer a soft cardigan over a white shirt and dark trousers. Add a simple white dress or a relaxed gray t-shirt and jeans. Keep the look subtle and timeless.
To create different looks, choose between different hues, silhouettes, and fabrics for your monochrome wardrobe. Play around with textures and accessories. Change your contrast with texture and try to have separate pieces that break up the monochrome look, such as a scarf, hat, or jewelry. Take risks with layering and silhouettes to create new looks and add personal style to the look.
3. Master the Art of Mixing Patterns
Mixing patterns is the secret to a unique and interesting fashion look. Without knowing how to do it, you’ll end up with monotonous appearance. Here’s how to master the art:
- Know which patterns to mix. With so many options, it’s hard to narrow it down. Start with a main color, such as black or navy, then choose a set of two or three complementary colors to pair with it.
- Maintain balance. Balance is the key to a successful eclectic mix, so pick patterns with different scales of size and shapes.
- Incorporate texture. Incorporate texture to add depth and dimension. For example, pair a coordinating floral print shirt with a textured polka dot skirt.
When wearing multiple patterns, moderation is the key. Keep it simple and follow the golden rule: two or three patterns only. Mastering the art of pattern-mixing can create truly unique and stylish looks. Plus, it gives you the confidence to take your fashion to the next level.
4. Add Interest to Your Monochrome Looks with Statement Accessories
Monochrome looks are powerful and uncluttered, but adding statement accessories can turn them into something that stands out without being overly flashy. Here are four ways to make your monochrome look pop:
- Ear Cuffs & Earrings – Jewelry is always a great way to incorporate a contemporary twist on a classic monochrome look. Ear cuffs are especially bold and can give any monochrome outfit a statement making edge. If you prefer something a bit more understated, consider some statement earrings. Choose styles like over-sized hoops, drop earrings, and oversized studs.
- Slip-on Footwear – Slides, mules, loafers, and sneakers are perfect for adding extra oomph to your monochrome look. Slip-on footwear provides a sleek silhouette without being too complicated or distracting from your ensemble. Choose from lots of colors and metallics for an extra subtle hint of color that won’t overpower your look.
- Bags & Scarves – The classic tote bag or clutch is always a great choice to add a special touch to your monochrome look. Totes in colors like tan, navy blue, and black are a great choice for staying on-trend without going too far. Additionally, a great scarf can liven up an otherwise subtle monochrome palette.
- Hats & Sunglasses – Need to take your monochrome look from casual to chic? Add a designer hat or sunglasses to complete the look. Your accessory should be bold enough to add a pop of your personality to your ensemble, yet still muted enough to stay within the confines of a classic, monochrome look.
These are just four suggestions, but there are many other statement accessories that could turn your monochrome look from casual to edgy. Get creative, and have fun with it!
5. Finishing Touches: Shoes, Bags, and Hair Styling for the Perfect Monochrome Finish
The look you’ve created is almost complete, but the perfect monochrome finish comes down to those final touches. Shoes, bags, and hair are all essential accessories when it comes to creating a stand-out look.
Choose shoes that match the tone of the rest of your monochrome ensemble; they can be bold and colorful for a unique touch, or keep to a strict style of black and whites. Sneakers are a great go-to for a casual, comfortable look, but a pair of dress loans will elevate the look to new heights.
Structured bags, whether they come shaped like a tote, bucket, or shoulder bag, pull a monochrome look together and complements the clothing seamlessly. Plus, they’ll help keep your outfit looking sharp throughout the day. Don’t forget about the small details either – have a match your bag with hand jewelry, sunglasses, and shoes.
Often overlooked, hair styling is the ideal way to bring together the look and let your full, monochrome style shine. To help showcase the clothing, try an up-do or half-up style that creates a sophisticated, yet effortless finish. Here are a few favorite looks:
- A voluminous high bun
- A chic side braid
- Suave, face-framing curls
- A messy top knot
With these simple tips, you’re now all set to shine in your monochrome get-up. It’s time to show-off and enjoy that perfect finish!
The monochrome fashion trend is here to stay and this guide has pointed you in the direction of how to create the perfect monochrome look. With a bit of creativity, you can make your outfit stand out from the crowd. Life is all about taking risks. So don’t be afraid to express yourself through fashion. Own the monochrome trend.